Try again if first SNMP failure

Anything that you think should be in Cacti.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

dsoodak

Try again if first SNMP failure

Post by dsoodak »

Since SNMP is often low priority, you won't always get a response from a radio who's upstream or downstream traffic is maxed out. This makes it hard to sort out the devices which are actually having a communication problem. It would be nice to have an option to try again if the device was recently connected.

Does this feature already exist? If not, which function would it be best to modify to add it?
netniV
Cacti Guru User

Re: Try again if first SNMP failure

Post by netniV »

There is a retries option under device defaults in settings. The default value is three, though I'm not sure if that applies to every snmp attempt or just how many times it can fail before it considers it down.
Cacti Developer & Release Manager
The Cacti Group

Director
BV IT Solutions Ltd

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Cacti Resources:
Cacti Website (including releases)
Cacti Issues
Cacti Development Releases
Cacti Development Documentation
dsoodak

Re: Try again if first SNMP failure

Post by dsoodak »

netniV wrote:There is a retries option under device defaults in settings. The default value is three, though I'm not sure if that applies to every snmp attempt or just how many times it can fail before it considers it down.
I did a search on that option cross referenced with my original question and found another post
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55065
where someone experimentally determined that it isn't retries for every snmp attempt like I hoped. He also found that " snmp.c, at line 180, session.retries is hard set to 3" but debug output showed it was only called once before giving up.
I might try increasing the option next to it (SNMP Timeout) to see if that helps in my case.