Cacti Source Control moved to GitHub!

Post general support questions here that do not specifically fall into the Linux or Windows categories.

Moderators: Developers, Moderators

rsanto

Re: Cacti Source Control moved to GitHub!

Post by rsanto »

what a great news!

Can't wait to get my hands on the new version

Great work guys
smiles
Cacti User

Post by smiles »

Has anyone been able to update the syslog plugin to work with this new source?
cigamit
Developer

Post by cigamit »

smiles wrote:Has anyone been able to update the syslog plugin to work with this new source?
Our current devel version is under major flux, most plugins will not be updated to work with it until it becomes more stable. Its not meant to be used in production at this time.
rianna

Post by rianna »

Can you provide a link, please?
smiles
Cacti User

Post by smiles »

rianna wrote:Can you provide a link, please?
https://github.com/Cacti/cacti.git
Atreides
Cacti User

Post by Atreides »

cigamit wrote:
smiles wrote:Has anyone been able to update the syslog plugin to work with this new source?
Our current devel version is under major flux, most plugins will not be updated to work with it until it becomes more stable. Its not meant to be used in production at this time.
Hello,
Is there a list of working plugins for this new source?.
umairbaig5002

Post by umairbaig5002 »

Hello Cacti Guru,

Currently m using cacti Version 0.8.7c how could I upgrade it to Github latest version.
micke2k
Cacti User

Post by micke2k »

umairbaig5002 wrote:Hello Cacti Guru,

Currently m using cacti Version 0.8.7c how could I upgrade it to Github latest version.
Wait until its released. Not to be used in production yet.
mikygee
Cacti User

Post by mikygee »

Hello Rony,
A very good idea would be to include much more templates by default.
The ones included in Cacti by default are quite poor.
I think there should be at least a nice Cisco template, one for Linux, on for Juniper etc. Also templates for applications like Mariadb, Nginx etc. Percona did nice ones for Mariadb.
I can provide one for OpenBSD
Thanks
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

smiles wrote:Are there any docs on how to properly build and install version 1.0 from the git source?

Is the database structure changed from 0.8.8g?
The release is still under heavy development and I strongly suggest you do not upgrade your production environment.
[size=117][i][b]Tony Roman[/b][/i][/size]
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

routenull0 wrote:
rony wrote:Currently active development is occurring in the develop branch.

I will be setting up automatic nightly builds based on if commits have occurred that day in the coming month. I will announce it once it is up and running.

I will also be moving issue tracking to GitHub at some point in the near future, once that is complete it will be announced as well.

Feel free to fork the Cacti GitHub and submit pull request to fix any problems you find.
This is awesome, moving to GitHub makes it a ton easier to provide support / bug fixes when I find them.

Few Questions:

1) Are you going to have a repo for host/graph/device templates?
2) Is support for 1min polling built-in now? (Not having to add new RRA values and such)
3) Is support for 10Gbps/25Gbps/40Gbps/100Gbps interfaces built-in?
1) Maybe, I would be curious if people would find this helpful. The major resource problem is administrating such a repository of templates.
2) Yes
3) No (But it should be, geez, what wrong with us? :P )
[size=84][i]Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]There are only 3 way to complete a project: Good, Fast or Cheap, pick two.[/i][/size]
[size=84][i]With age comes wisdom, what you choose to do with it determines whether or not you are wise.[/i][/size]
rony
Developer/Forum Admin

Post by rony »

mikygee wrote:Hello Rony,
A very good idea would be to include much more templates by default.
The ones included in Cacti by default are quite poor.
I think there should be at least a nice Cisco template, one for Linux, on for Juniper etc. Also templates for applications like Mariadb, Nginx etc. Percona did nice ones for Mariadb.
I can provide one for OpenBSD
Thanks
I'm all for updating the base templates included with Cacti. People are welcome to offer suggestions on what they would like include via doing pull request on GitHub. This is by far the biggest reason we move to Github to promote people to contribute to making Cacti great!
routenull0

Post by routenull0 »

[quote="rony"][quote="routenull0"][quote="rony"]Currently active development is occurring in the [i]develop[/i] branch.

I will be setting up automatic nightly builds based on if commits have occurred that day in the coming month. I will announce it once it is up and running.

I will also be moving issue tracking to GitHub at some point in the near future, once that is complete it will be announced as well.

Feel free to fork the Cacti GitHub and submit pull request to fix any problems you find.[/quote]

This is awesome, moving to GitHub makes it a ton easier to provide support / bug fixes when I find them.

Few Questions:

1) Are you going to have a repo for host/graph/device templates?
2) Is support for 1min polling built-in now? (Not having to add new RRA values and such)
3) Is support for 10Gbps/25Gbps/40Gbps/100Gbps interfaces built-in?[/quote]

1) Maybe, I would be curious if people would find this helpful. The major resource problem is administrating such a repository of templates.
2) Yes
3) No (But it should be, geez, what wrong with us? :P )[/quote]

1) I certainly would. Many times there are several versions of a particular template floating around within different forum posts. I totally understand the resource issue in maintaining a repository, but maybe there is some way to have select community members approve/deny merge requests or something. I would definitely help in such a manner for any of the devices I can actually test with (mainly Juniper).
2) Awesome!
3) Let's hope you have it on the roadmap now :)
jayccna

Post by jayccna »

Dears,

is it possible to install 0.8.8h on windows 2003 server (any compatibility issue) ? Please reply.
Howie
Cacti Guru User

Post by Howie »

rony wrote:Currently active development is occurring in the develop branch.

Feel free to fork the Cacti GitHub and submit pull request to fix any problems you find.
If you haven't done this yet, check out Travis CI and Code Climate. Travis CI will do builds and run your unit tests on every check-in, on a variety of PHP versions, for free (unit tests are part of the new release too, right?) Code Climate does automatic code review and gives you reports on where your code quality might need some attention (or security and deprecated code isses). Again, free for open source projects, and integrated with github.
Weathermap 0.98a is out! & QuickTree 1.0. Superlinks is over there now (and built-in to Cacti 1.x).
Some Other Cacti tweaks, including strip-graphs, icons and snmp/netflow stuff.
(Let me know if you have UK DevOps or Network Ops opportunities, too!)