The Legend HZ by Synapse Audio now available!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend The Legend HZ

chagzuki wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:41 pmBut I took another look at HZ and realised there are GUI controls; brightening the background makes it less optically aggressive on my monitor, and closer to the original Legend. Also taking the bezel/light-source effect down makes it visually quieter, I prefer it that way. Looks nice to me now.
I assume you don't take advantage of the eye-strain alleviating dark theme on your computer? I honestly don't know how I ever managed to put up with bright white backgrounds on every screen. It's taken Microsoft forever but I don't think there is a single thing in Windows that still shows a white background any more. Thank Dog!
Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:41 amMy only grief is the MSEG edition which is a bit fiddly as the screen is a bit small. Would be nice if it could pop-up or zoom.
Yeah, the chance that I would ever want to use an MSEG for anything is roughly zero, so that's not a problem I anticipate having to face.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:59 am I assume you don't take advantage of the eye-strain alleviating dark theme on your computer? I honestly don't know how I ever managed to put up with bright white backgrounds on every screen. It's taken Microsoft forever but I don't think there is a single thing in Windows that still shows a white background any more. Thank Dog!
Oh yes, dark mode became the norm with me barely realising it. Now when I boot up an old computer still in light mode it freaks me out momentarily. Maybe it's an incorrect comparison given that paper only reflects light, but it would appear that a few hundred years of default white backgrounds was mainly to do with printing technology, and that's been flipped in the space of a year or two.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

I also entirely agree with the other comments here that OSC panning would make a huge difference. Subtle control of the stereo image can be crucial.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:21 pm
BONES wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 7:59 am I assume you don't take advantage of the eye-strain alleviating dark theme on your computer? I honestly don't know how I ever managed to put up with bright white backgrounds on every screen. It's taken Microsoft forever but I don't think there is a single thing in Windows that still shows a white background any more. Thank Dog!
Oh yes, dark mode became the norm with me barely realising it. Now when I boot up an old computer still in light mode it freaks me out momentarily. Maybe it's an incorrect comparison given that paper only reflects light, but it would appear that a few hundred years of default white backgrounds was mainly to do with printing technology, and that's been flipped in the space of a year or two.
Yeah dark mode in anything now we have monster multi inch monitors.
Ultra bright presentations are a thing of a bygone era.

I was faffing about with the image files today and noticed there is a line on the FX page. It's also on the default GUI after a fresh install on two different systems. The line is not on the actual .bmp image itself. You may have to adjust LHZ's brightness contrast slider to see it more clearly. Is anyone else noticing it as well?

LHZ 051824-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:59 pm I was faffing about with the image files today and noticed there is a line on the FX page. It's also on the default GUI after a fresh install on two different systems. The line is not on the actual .bmp image itself. You may have to adjust LHZ's brightness contrast slider to see it more clearly. Is anyone else noticing it as well?

LHZ 051824-2.png
No I don't have it... Even with brightness to the max. I am in medium size UI if that helps.

chagzuki wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 12:41 pm I also entirely agree with the other comments here that OSC panning would make a huge difference. Subtle control of the stereo image can be crucial.
It will need a stereo filter (so 2 filters) to keep the stereo image of the oscillators. Some have said that’s too bad there’s not another filter… well it’s not part of HZ’s wishes

Jac459 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:44 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:59 pm I was faffing about with the image files today and noticed there is a line on the FX page. It's also on the default GUI after a fresh install on two different systems. The line is not on the actual .bmp image itself. You may have to adjust LHZ's brightness contrast slider to see it more clearly. Is anyone else noticing it as well?
No I don't have it... Even with brightness to the max. I am in medium size UI if that helps.
Ahh ok thanks. I'm using the Default size. I just checked and the line does not show on the medium, small, large, or huge sizes.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

This must be the first subtractive synth with 6 oscillators I know. Isn't that a bit overkill?
When I use oscillator 3 as an LFO, the Semi knob seems to set the frequency. How do I know the Hz value?

You basically don't. That's mostly adjusted by ear.
If that kind of precision is needed, it's better to use a looping unsynced MSEG.

About the 6 osc being overkill... it depends. For classic subtractive patches it defiinitely is.
It makes sense though when using this thing for more modern, complex and dynamic patches, by having those 5-6 oscillators stacked, moving and interacting in interesting ways, as some presets quite clearly show.
Last edited by Niowiad on Sun May 19, 2024 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolau wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:34 pm This must be the first subtractive synth with 6 oscillators I know. Isn't that a bit overkill?
When I use oscillator 3 as an LFO, the Semi knob seems to set the frequency. How do I know the Hz value?
Well the principle of subtractive is to have a rich initial sound and substrate to it.
Here you have an extra rich initial sound 😁.
And as discussed before, the 6 oscillators mix in a very musical way.

Nicolau wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:34 pm This must be the first subtractive synth with 6 oscillators I know. Isn't that a bit overkill?
OB-E with 8 oscillators has been out for almost two years.

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 5:36 am
OB-E with 8 oscillators has been out for almost two years.
I don't have this synth but looking at the picture, it is more like 8 times 2 oscillators feeding one filter. Here we are talking about 6 oscillators feeding 1 filter. Is it a routing possibility in OB-E?

OB-E has 8 voices, each with 2 oscillators. AFAIK, the voices are pannable, not the oscillators, and I assume this is what everyone wants when they’re asking for pannable oscillators. If I’m wrong and you all want pannable oscillators, that would be cool, too, but it would have less spread with chords and would require each voice’s filters to be stereo.

Uncle E wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 6:18 am OB-E has 8 voices, each with 2 oscillators. AFAIK, the voices are pannable, not the oscillators, and I assume this is what everyone wants when they’re asking for pannable oscillators. If I’m wrong and you all want pannable oscillators, that would be cool, too, but it would have less spread with chords and would require each voice’s filters to be stereo.
You are actually right, the oscillators of Legend HZ can't be panned because the filter itself is mono... Good point. Then indeed that means that the filter also need to be stereo for the oscillator panning...

As per the comparison with OB-E, it wasn't able the panning but how many oscillators to feed one filter. AFAIK, Legend HZ got the world record for VA but I may be wrong, I don't know a lot of VA...

Return to “Instruments”