Fabfilter announce TIMELESS 3 !!!!!!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Relativity for Timeless 3 Timeless 3

bmanic wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:16 pm
Caine123 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:49 pm i think they should add a simple mode or something? i think too that Timeless is awesome but to make a simple delay etc. it takes more time than it should :D
I'll say it again:

USE THE PRESETS. I very specifically made a "basic" category for a quick starting point. All sorts of "mojo" pre-mapped to the green macro sliders. It is sooooooo infuriating to see people on YouTube go through presets and _never_ adjust a single macro control. They are there for a reason and it took quite a bit of work to set them up!
Thanks for clarifying on this. I put Timeless aside as it seemed overkill for simple delays. Have to revisit it, I guess.

Caine123 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:49 pm i think they should add a simple mode or something? i think too that Timeless is awesome but to make a simple delay etc. it takes more time than it should :D
I'll say it again:

USE THE PRESETS. I very specifically made a "basic" category for a quick starting point. All sorts of "mojo" pre-mapped to the green macro sliders. It is sooooooo infuriating to see people on YouTube go through presets and _never_ adjust a single macro control. They are there for a reason and it took quite a bit of work to set them up!
Another sign that the UI/UX direction Fabfilter has taken is not at all good.

I'll say it again:

All you need is to load one of the basic presets, set the timing you want, tweak the macro controls and you are done. Just because there is a huge amount of additional things to tweak doesn't mean you have to do it! Hide the LFO/env/mod "matrix" controls and stick with the green pre-assigned macro controls.
To be fair, while I appreciated having those presets before I sold it for being overly complex, a user shouldn’t have to rely on presets to create a basic delay - things that market-leading delays like Valhalla Delay make simple. Because they are simple.

Timeless was _never_ a "basic" delay. Not even in it's previous incarnations.

However, I do agree with you about the UI, as stated many times already in this thread. We work with what we have, unfortunately.

This is why I made those presets and the very first category in the preset browser, a set of already setup basic delays giving you instant access to mojo and ducking.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:18 pm Timeless was _never_ a "basic" delay. Not even in it's previous incarnations.

However, I do agree with you about the UI, as stated many times already in this thread. We work with what we have, unfortunately.

This is why I made those presets and the very first category in the preset browser, a set of already setup basic delays giving you instant access to mojo and ducking.
For the record: I very much appreciate all the work you put into making the presets on this and many other plugins I have (plus sometimes kindly publishing even more in forums). :party:

It was my own fault for not demoing T3 for long enough before buying it.

Sorry for thread necromancy, but someone here may be able to answer this. I've tried to recreate the sound of the zebra builtin delay with timeless 3 and I just fail miserably. The settings in zebra are stereo2 with 1/8dot, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, no feedback, ~30% cross feedback, a bit of panning and hpf/lpf, nothing too fancy (I thought). However I already fail to set timeless to 1/8dot left, 1/4 right ... I guess if I set delay time pan to "d" I get 1/4 left, 1/4dot right ... but how do I get 1/4 left, 1/8dot right?

My confusion even intensifies if I try to set more taps to get closer to the zebra settings. Seems like you can't type "d" or "t" in the tap editor... do I have to actually do math now to find out the exact percentages?!

After reading the manual twice and fiddling around with the plugin there is growing evidence that this is either the most complicated delay unit I've ever used or I'm simply too stupid to use it :dog:

If you want 1/4 on one channel, and 1/8d on another, set Timeless to:

1. Tempo Sync using Quarter -> Straight (this gets you quarter note @ 100%)
2. Leave the delay offset on one channel at 100% (this is 1/4)
3. Set the delay offset on the other channel at 75% (this is 1/8d)

...or am I missing something?

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:01 pm If you want 1/4 on one channel, and 1/8d on another, set Timeless to:

Either you or me :D

I mean, there is only one big button in the middle with "delay time offset" on the inner knob and "delay time pan" on the outer ring. How do I set different offsets for each channel?
What you describe is actually what I want, like I could in Timeless 2 - just set parameters for each channel. In timeless 3 it looks like I have to set the offset to the common denominator, then "scale" the other side with the "delay time pan". Although I genuinely hope that I'm wrong about this.

Liero wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:27 pm
I'll say it again:

Another sign that the UI/UX direction Fabfilter has taken is not at all good.
I couldn't disagree more. Timeless is powerful yet intuitive. And as usual with fabfilter the design is awesome...

If you want a quick simple delay why not using your DAW directly?

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:51 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:01 pm If you want 1/4 on one channel, and 1/8d on another, set Timeless to:

Either you or me :D

I mean, there is only one big button in the middle with "delay time offset" on the inner knob and "delay time pan" on the outer ring. How do I set different offsets for each channel?
What you describe is actually what I want, like I could in Timeless 2 - just set parameters for each channel. In timeless 3 it looks like I have to set the offset to the common denominator, then "scale" the other side with the "delay time pan". Although I genuinely hope that I'm wrong about this.
Does this help?

Im not fond on the smoke style vizualization, thats about it. Extremely thankful for bm's
hardwork on the presets as usual. I always
use them to start or explore. :tu:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm Does this help?
In this case, yeah, thank you. However, I can't ask kvr everytime I need a simply delay setting :D
If I wanted something like 1/2 left, 1/8t right, how would I calculate this? (and tbh why does timeless even force me to calculate anything? :neutral: )

pekbro wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:23 pm Im not fond on the smoke style vizualization, thats about it. Extremely thankful for bm's
hardwork on the presets as usual. I always
use them to start or explore. :tu:
If by "smoke style visualisation," you are referring to the "glowing blur effect" which Fabfilter use to display, what they call the modulation "source flow". Then I agree (although, perhaps you might mean something completely different?)

Personally, I used to find that "source flow" effect rather distracting and so I requested for an option to hide it on Fabfilter's forum. Gratefully, they obliged a few updates ago and now users have the option to disable/enable it, according to taste, by simply left-clicking the "+" Add modulation button and then deselecting/selecting "Show Source Flow" from the pop-up menu.

Fabfilter Timeless 3 - Disable - Show Source Flow.png

Fabfilter also granted my other request for a "toggle" for whether or not to 'Auto-Collapse' the modulation sources, in their same update. (Since I prefer to keep them expanded like in earlier versions, rather than the new default 'auto-collapse' behaviour).

So those, along with their now fully-scalable GUIs (which I have wanted for ages), were all some really great QoL improvement from Fabfilter in 2023. And they solved pretty much all of my bug bears regarding some of their more recent plugins. I no longer have any complaints regarding their plugins and just really enjoy using them.

And Fabfilter even topped the year off by releasing their surprise update for product-wide support of CLAP, which is really awesome for the good of that open source format and the industry going forward. Now, I just need my DAW developer to do likewise and actually allow me to host those CLAP plugins and I'll be very happy. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr.Gunjah wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:05 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:22 pm Does this help?
In this case, yeah, thank you. However, I can't ask kvr everytime I need a simply delay setting :D
If I wanted something like 1/2 left, 1/8t right, how would I calculate this? (and tbh why does timeless even force me to calculate anything? :neutral: )
If you just want to use simple divisions without having to think about it, I'd suggest using another product. ValhallaDelay in Dual style handles that beautifully and easily. Whereas Timeless kind of sucks in that the right and left delay can't be wildly far apart. But Timeless does a ton of stuff ValhallaDelay doesn't. This is where you eventually get to owning 50 delay plugins because they all have different strengths and weaknesses.

Otherwise, for doing calculations without the math, just play around with an Online Delay Calculator like this one:

https://anotherproducer.com/online-tool ... alculator/

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:46 pm If you just want to use simple divisions without having to think about it, I'd suggest using another product. ValhallaDelay in Dual style handles that beautifully and easily. Whereas Timeless kind of sucks in that the right and left delay can't be wildly far apart. But Timeless does a ton of stuff ValhallaDelay doesn't. This is where you eventually get to owning 50 delay plugins because they all have different strengths and weaknesses.
That's what I was thinking but refused to accept I guess. I mean it's my own fault that I "impulse upgraded" when I read about the resizable UI without testing it thoroughly, but I honestly didn't expect them to change the whole concept.

Return to “Effects”