MPE modules for VCV Rack

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ahornberg wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:17 pm I don't use VCV as a plugin, because all host apps (Bitwig, Ableton and so on) are doing some damage on the incoming MIDI data. That's why I switched to VCV.
Bitwig with the generic driver does not. Just don’t use the LinnStrument driver and set the channel to same.
But using the LinnStrument driver works as well, if you are aware of expressions and how they are handled… Took me some time to figure it out…

Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:42 am Bitwig with the generic driver does not.
In Bitwig, from my perspective the real damage happens after recording MPE data. The data is thinned out. Every DAW does this more or less. I figured out that Cubase preservses MPE data most precisely.

My workaround is to record the audio, not the MIDI.

I made some tiny changes to my VCV MPE module: No you can access pitch-bend independently from the note pitch, e.g. to use the x-axis for something different than a pitch slide.
mpe_pichtbend.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

That is what the doctor ordered. Very cool - Thanks a lot...

Ahornberg wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:42 am Bitwig with the generic driver does not.
In Bitwig, from my perspective the real damage happens after recording MPE data. The data is thinned out. Every DAW does this more or less. I figured out that Cubase preservses MPE data most precisely.

If you're using iOS or MacOS, Geert Bevin's open source Midi Tape Recorder plugin might be a solution for this. "MIDI messages are recorded and played back with the same accuracy and precision as audio recordings." https://github.com/gbevin/MIDITapeRecorder

Editing the data in your DAW after recording might still be a problem for you -- MTR does no editing at all -- but it does record what's sent exactly, I think.

hesitz wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:08 pm
Ahornberg wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:24 am

If you're using iOS or MacOS, Geert Bevin's open source Midi Tape Recorder app might be a solution for this. "MIDI messages are recorded and played back with the same accuracy and precision as audio recordings." https://github.com/gbevin/MIDITapeRecorder

Editing the data in your DAW after recording might still be a problem for you -- MTR does no editing at all -- but it does record what's sent exactly, I think.
In the meanwhile I discovered Ardour. This DAW records all MIDI data exactly as the arrive and editing is possible, although it's not intuitive.

Ardour is open source and runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac.

Here's a short video on my VCV MPE module:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1sApUcgx44

Return to “Roger Linn Design”