GarageBand: Using a 3rd Party Meter When Recording?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The metering in GB is terrible (along with other obvious limitations). Yet, for my educational purposes, it would be a useful DAW if it had bigger, more accurate meters . . . especially when recording. Is this possible? I realize a 3rd party meter can be assigned to a track of recorded material, but can such a meter be used when recording to help ascertain optimal levels?

Thanks for any help!

Note: I found a link online about changing GB's metering to include dB levels, but the poster did not indicate how . . . just showed that he did it.

Anyone?

When you click on the track volume level it shows dB, or you can set Automatic Level Control at the track level in the Recording Settings, and use the Analyzer in the popup EQ.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:43 pm When you click on the track volume level it shows dB, or you can set Automatic Level Control at the track level in the Recording Settings, and use the Analyzer in the popup EQ.
Will that work on input or only on stuff that's already on the track? I'm reinstalling now . . . hopeful.

I found the Automatic Level Control, but it's grayed out and won't allow me to press. ;-0

You need to have a microphone providing input, and select it in the audio preferences, then it will initialize Core Audio, you will see audio levels on the track, and can tick the box.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:23 pm You need to have a microphone providing input, and select it in the audio preferences, then it will initialize Core Audio, you will see audio levels on the track, and can tick the box.
Ahhhhhh, no luck. I'm recording through my mic fine, but cannot select. Much appreciation for your help.
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 4.36.25 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Check that your microphone is plugged in, your interface is selected in Garageband preferences and System preferences, and that mic audio shows up in the track meter.
there are zillions of GB tutorials! it has its own way of thinking
Last edited by Michael L on Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:40 pm Check that your microphone is selected in Garageband preferences and System preferences, and that it shows up in the track meter. there are zillions of GB tutorials! it has its own way of thinking
I have them selected. ;-0
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 4.42.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-09 at 4.41.41 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

What happens in GB when you speak into your microphone?
When a GB track meters your audio, you should be able to tick the box
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Michael L wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:44 pm What happens in GB when you speak into your microphone?
When a GB track meters your audio, you should be able to tick the box
I am able to record audio, but unable to tick the box.

Wow. I don't know . . .
If the Sound preferences show audio, everything should work.
Are your drivers up to date with your OS?
Try rebooting with the mic on, since you just installed GB
Last edited by Michael L on Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

I'll keep at it. Will that adjust the input while recording? If so, what is it adjusting it to? 0dB?

tommyzai wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:19 am I'll keep at it. Will that adjust the input while recording? If so, what is it adjusting it to? 0dB?
Use the Track volume to set the target in dB, and the Record level adjusts input volume to that target.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Does it help prevent clipping?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”